When you run an eCommerce business, you are by nature dealing with a lot more competition. eCommerce is growing at an exponential rate, the most recent statistics reflecting a 23% growth rate each year!
Not only are you facing purely web-based businesses and start-ups, but you are also coming up against well known, age-old brands who responded to the trend and now have their own fully functioning online stores.
Bottom line: your competition is excruciatingly brutal.
That being the case, it should be easy to see why expert SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for your eCommerce website is absolutely essential for your survival.
What Is eCommerce SEO
SEO for eCommerce sites is essentially application of excellent Search Engine Optimization strategies that are best suited and tailored for online businesses. It will include things like:
- Creating an XML sitemap for submission to search engines like Google and Bing
- Checking coding to ensure there are no errors so web crawlers can easily crawl and index your site
- Researching and implementing the most important key words and phrases that your ideal target audience uses to search for your product/services
- Optimizing each of your web pages by using keywords to maximize the effectiveness of your headings and subheadings
- Fine tuning page titles and meta-descriptions to be extra attractive to search engines and human users
- Enhancing your website’s authority by increasing the number of backlinks to your website
- Improving your website’s content to incorporate relevant information and effective keywords (see our page on our Content Development services)
- Building your brand’s reputation by increasing the number of platforms and profiles your brand appears on, including social media platforms and business review sites
- Utilizing tools like Schema, capable of increasing your SERP rates by up to 30%, that will provide quick and easy to see exposure of your products and services during a search
- Optimizing your conversion rate by increasing relevant organic traffic to your site, which means gaining traffic that is much closer to making an actual purchase
As you can see, there is a LOT that goes into making sure your website rise above the rest to be seen and visited. It is not an easy or quick process, and requires technical understanding of how the search engines and their web crawlers work. But when the principles are properly applied, it makes all of the difference.